The burgh of Vogogna
The ancient burgh of Vogogna in the Ossola valley still conserves the characteristic appearance of a medieval village.
The Castle of the Viscontis which rises above the village is the focal point of the history and culture of the area; commissioned by Giovanni Visconti, it was built in 1348 to serve as a military base. High on the hillside above it is the Rocca, an ancient fort going back to the 9th century, from which all of the Ossola valley floor could be controlled and defended. Today, the square tower of the castle hosts a Multimedia Centre.